Re: [tlug] Newbie: Kubuntu Configuration

> 2.  Just wanted to first announce that I have "successfully" (sic)
> installed scim-anthy and can switch input back and forth between J <->
> E.  Unfortunately, some of my regular typing habits are switching me
> between languages at unintended moments.  I'll try to straighten that
> out on my own.

If you go to SCIM setup (e.g. right-click the scim icon in the panel at
the top of the screen does it for me) you can choose the key bindings to
switch scim on. If you then go to the anthy sub-section of that setup
you can choose different keys for all its functions too. (I just noticed
they have a drop-down menu where you can choose a key binding theme,
like atok or MS-IME.)

> But, in Kubuntu, setting my main system language to English, yields
> mojibake in Japanese language program menus (although _most_ content
> appears correctly -- I can easily read Japanese web sites in Firefox and
> e-mail in Kmail, for instance).  If I set the desktop language to
> Japanese, then all of the Kubuntu menus and related help / support files
> are Japanese which is not something I am willing to endure.

Try opening a shell, then type
  export LANG=ja_JP.UTF8;oocalc

This opens OO Calc with Japanese menus. Change oocalc to the name of
your app. If that works then you can make a Custom Application Launcher
(or the KDE equivalent) with the above as the command.

Darren

--
Darren Cook
http://dcook.org/mlsn/ (English-Japanese-German-Chinese free dictionary)