Re: [tlug] ScrumMaster training in Tokyo!

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, Josh Glover wrote:

...the first ever ScrumMaster training course being offered in Tokyo!
http://www.scrumalliance.org/courses/1346-certified-scrummaster

The, course, which from the topics list is seems aimed at beginners, gets you this:

    All attendees who complete the course will become Certified
    ScrumMasters (CSMs), and will be listed on the Scrum Alliance
    website's CSM registry.

I have to say, while I don't have much objection to certifications
(though I don't take too much notice of them myself), I find the use of
the word "Master" in their certification rather annoying, since "master"
usually implies to me someone who is not only good at what he does, but
has a great deal of experience that can be usefully brought to bear on
the problems he is called upon to solve.

However, their "Certified ScrumMasters" appear to be no more than people
who have shelled out $1195, sat through a two-day course, and quite
probably have little or no agile experience beyond that. Am I wrong to
be annoyed by this?

For what it's worth, Starling Software also does Agile and Extreme
Programming coaching, and, in the spirit of agile development, we give
you no certification whatsoever. :-) (We also charge a lot less than
these guys, unless you happen to be working alone.)

cjs