[tlug] Video Editing on Linux - a front-runner IMHO

TLUG,

A while back I was part of a discussion where I expressed general satisfaction with video editing on Linux.

However, I've just discovered a program called Kdenlive, which I recommend for those who are interested in video editing.

Reasons I like it:

1. Didn't crash.

This is a simple yet obviously a deal breaking issue. Every single other video editing application I have tried on Linux was unable to continue for more than a few minutes without crashing. With Kdenlive, I was able to get from importing clips to exporting a rendered version without a single crash. I'm sure I've jinxed myself for the next time I try something, but still... stability wise it is the first and only video editor to even get on the score board.

2. Intuitive interface.

I have not been able to understand with other video editors why they make such crazy interfaces. Again, of all other video editors, I was unable to start simple tasks such as importing a video clip or putting it on a timeline without consulting documentation. With Kdenlive, I was able to get all the way from beginning to end of a simple* project by simply poking around and finding things. Nice. When I started to get fancy with audio effects, I had to stop once to check for how to handle the audio timeline and that's it.

* By "simple", I mean I was able to import some clips, trim them, append them together, put a fade from black on the start, add a fade to black on the end, and adjust volume settings, then export the complete timeline in a format and size of my choice.

3.Handles all the video and audio formats

When I say "all", I mean all that I tried. Seems to be tied into whatever codec libraries drive my Mplayer or other media players can handle are all handled within Kdenlive. So basically, if I could play it on my system, I could edit it. This was a really nice discovery. With the other editors, I found that they were picky about what they would take (Cinellera only accepts one format - Quicktime, I think), or would not handle them well (LiVES would import the video, but not the audio). Kdenlive even took the oddball MPEG format that comes straight from my Sony video camera.

What are the drawbacks? Well, I haven't hit any yet, though I haven't pushed it. It's KDE based, so if you're a Gnome guy like me that means loading all the KDE libraries just to get the interface up. But, that said, it seems really, really spritely. The video files that come off my Sony camera are uncompressed MPEGs at about 2 GB each, and this thing loaded em up instantly and I could navigate within them without delays.

Overall, I'm giving this a thumbs up. It may yet turn out to lack certain features for truly slick video production. But for now, I would totally recommend it if you're just looking for an effective and simple editor to handle home movies, simple manipulations, and other basic functions. I'm keeping my expectations low, but it is the first and only Linux video editor that I feel actually opens the possibility that video editing may yet come to be on Linux.

http://www.kdenlive.org/

Hope that info helps others.

--
Dave M G