Re: [tlug] Where can I buy Debian CDs in Tokyo?

On 9/21/07, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> > Yeah - whatever.  Shitamachi or "Low city" here and whatever those
> > crazy people in New York go for.
>
> Now now!

I know I know.  I was just kidding.  (Or maybe trying to get revenge
for the guy from New York who came into the Italian restaurant in
California where I had a part time job as a cook when I was a student,
and he said the pizza I had made for him was okay, but if you want
real pizza, you have to go to New York.  Boy... I didn't say it, but
you can probably imagine what I was thinking!)

> > "Low city" is a good translation for "shitamachi" though.
>
> I'm not sure I buy this. Having spent a year or two working in
> Asakusa-bashi, which is certainly shitamachi if any place is, I've
> got to say from experience that tachinomi makes you "higher" rather
> than "lower".

Ha-ha!  Yeah!  Well, I think shitamachi is the best term!  It doesn't
translate into English very well, that's for sure!

Lyle