Re: [tlug] Where can I buy Debian CDs in Tokyo?

On 9/19/07, tlug@example.com <tlug@example.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 September 2007 23:36:59 Lyle H Saxon wrote:
> > I was sincerely curious what you meant by "downtown".  It's an
> > extremely fuzzy word in Tokyo.
>
> I agree that it is a fuzzy word in 東京, but the etymology described in
> Wikipedia may of interest:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown

New York, New York, the city so nice, they named it twice - Ho-ho.  I
had basically thought about what it says without having looked it up.
I used to live in Boise Idaho and downtown was were everything was
except suburbia.  Businesses, shops, movie theaters.  It was very
definitely the center of town.  All the action, all the fun was there.
 Remember that Neil Young song that goes:

Come on, baby, let's go downtown,
Let's go, let's go,
let's go downtown.
Come on, baby, let's go downtown,
Let's go, let's go,
let's go downtown.

Snake eyes, French fries
and I got lots of gas.
Full moon and a jumpin' tune,
now you don't have to ask.

Memory:  when I was 14, I drove my parent's car downtown one weekend
night when they were out of town (you could drive when you were 14 in
Idaho then, but only in the daytime), and I was amazed that there were
so many cars driving around - and then I realized they were doing
exactly what I was doing - driving around!  On the same circuit.  At
one red light, I looked out the window and into the face of a guy
sitting on a car hood who said "Daddy's car?".  I guess I looked young
or something (14.....).  Driving around with the radio on - a cool
song over the airwaves was a sort of seventh heaven.  Wow... that's
seven light years from my life in Tokyo.

So.... from that time, "downtown" has always had the "center of town"
meaning for me.

Lyle