Re: [tlug] A place to connect my laptop

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>  > it to have set of alarm bells at the telephone company.  A
>  > telephone company is not an unsophisticated user with limited
>  > technical and legal resources.  It should be obvious to them that
>  > no reasonable person is consciously going to make that kind of
>  > usage of a mobile phone Internet service, which means it is either
>  > serious user error, fraud or an accounting mistake.  You would hope
>  > that even if they weren't checking for user errors they would be
>  > proactively checking for fraud or system errors.
>
> The joshiki is that there is a social contract: the little guys bear a
> huge amount of risk by comparison to other countries, while the big
> boys share the profits when the profits are positive.  During the high
> growth years this worked; now that Japan has entered the "zero-sum
> society" phase, the big dawgs are eating the little dogs (or at least
> their lunches) -- but progress on mitigating risk of people with
> average levels of resources or below is only now starting to be made.
>
> It just ain't right, but it's the way it (all too often) is.

I think in this situation it really worked against both the interest of
the users and telephone companies.  When the fixed fee Internet phone
services first started to appear, it was clear from there advertisements
that they were fighting a user perception of risk, caused by the
previous dangerous plans.

Edward