Re: Gotta Learn Vi . . . . . . (was Re: [tlug] [Newbie] Becoming 'root' in Kubuntu: Use sudo)

> Regardless of how you much loath vi, you should learn how to use it,
> because it is on more *nix systems than any other editor (besides cat).

Yes. vi is my 3rd most-hated editor (ed and emacs are 1st and 2nd
respectively), but, because I often need to edit something over ssh, my
2nd most used one. (For the curious, SciTE is first.)

> You don't have to learn how to be a wizard,
> just how to do very very basic stuff:
>
>    how to get into insert mode     i
>    how to get out of insert mode   <ESC>
>    how to write file               :w or :w! or :w foo
>    how to quit                     :q or :q!
>
> That's enough for very basic editing.

That is about all I know as well. Two more essentials, and one convenience:
   Forward delete:    x
   Delete whole line: dd
   Save and Quit:     ZZ
 (remember to press ESC to exit insert mode first)

(on some servers backspace, delete, home and end work, but sometimes
they do not (e.g. on the cygwin machines I ssh to), and I've never been
motivated enough to discover if that is something I can change or just
have to live with.)

Darren

--
Darren Cook