[tlug] New computer parts

I'm currently looking to put together a new computer and don't know all the
details on the latest and greatest hardware. It's been years since I built a
machine.

Other than total linux compatibility & the best speed & stability for the
money, I only have a couple other requirements.

a) It must run 2 19" LCD monitors (that have both VGA and DVI connectors). I
don't run games though so don't need the best and fastest graphics, though I
do intend to edit some home video.

b) I will use existing IDE drives so I want more than just the single IDE
connector as most new motherboards seem to have.

c) I want an external firewire connector for a digital video camera.

So here are my questions.

1) Is it better to find a board with two IDE connectors or is it any problem
to add a 2,000 yen PCI card to get a couple more? (In that case, can I
connect 6 drives or just 4?)

2) Same for the firewire. Any significant difference between onboard or an
added PCI card?

3) Would I be better off with 2 identical video cards with VGA/DVI
connections or a single card with 2 connectors? (Ideally I'd like to have
the option to run VGA if necessary.)

Other than that, I'll get whatever memory & CPU the board requires. (Any
opinions either way between AMD & Intel?)

I know some compatibility info could be found online. I'm more interested
though in opinions by people who know more than I do about hardware that's
available here.

Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

- Jason