Re: [tlug] [Newbie] Becoming 'root' in Kubuntu: Use sudo

jep200404 wrote:
CL wrote:

I need to edit a couple of script files for Kubuntu ...

sudo vi /etc/foo1 /etc/foo2

Man, talk about triggering "fight or flee" reactions in the lower levels of the human brain ...

How similar is Afrikaans to German?

Sort of distantly related. It's the Dutch equivalent of Canadian French and New England or Tidewater English. I have had several native speakers of Walloon tell me that they have an easier time understanding Afrikaans than speakers of true Dutch that they know.

IIRC, compared to Afrikaans, Modern English is closer to Modern German and Modern Dutch is closer to both, but I find Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian easier to understand than Dutch.

But ... I don't think Afrikaans uses umlauts ot essets.

--
CL