Re: [tlug] [Newbie] Becoming 'root' in Kubuntu: kdesu (or gtksudo) kate

jep200404 wrote:
Scott Robbins wrote:

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 02:28:52AM +0900, CL wrote:
... Kubuntu and need to be root ...

Kate ...

... sudo Kate <filename>?

... didn't work, nor did sudo su - Kate <filename>

Perhaps kdesu kate <filename> instead.

Yes! Worked a treat. Opened, accepted the edit, and saved without a whimper. I did not even have to futz around with the terminal function in Kate, either.

From https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo:

You should never use sudo to start graphical programs unless you know exactly what you are doing. You should use gksudo or kdesu to run such programs (e.g. ALT+F2 gksudo nautilus).

Why does so much of the (K/Ed/)Ubuntu help file repository sound as though it was written by Jewish mothers wearing clothes and shoes that are too tight after an afternoon of eating strudel, drinking Mogen David, and comparing stories about their adult children?

Related but maybe not, what I was trying to do was add to the repository list so I could install a program. I'd downloaded the Feisty-compatible .deb file to my desktop and, despite giving the correct orders (according to the online Ubuntu manual) to open and install the file from a Root Console command line (after changing to the directory in which the file had been saved), I kept getting a "<filename> not found" result. I don't have enough data to ask what I did wrong ... yet, but definitely want to know as soon as I can figure out how to ask.

So, I went for the "apt-get install" option, which precipitated the above exchange.

I also tried the Debian Package Search program to see if it would locate and offer to install the .deb package but I must be using the Search function incorrectly ... I spent most of the time I had it open installing additional plug-ins using "apt-get" and it never did find the .deb package sitting on my desktop.

I am beginning to appreciate how crash test dummies must feel.

--
CL