Re: [tlug] mailer not connecting to localhost

Godwin Stewart wrote:
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 19:50:55 +0900, Charles Muller <acmuller@example.com>
wrote:

Before the upgrade, all was working fine, but now when I try to retrieve
the mail, Icedove reports  "Could not connect to server localhost: the
connection was refused".

Check with netstat to see if anything is indeed listening to port 110 on your box. Then check your firewall rules.

As always, thanks Godwin.

While I was trying to solve this problem, I kept running into one little broken thing after another in Sid/Unstable (as was always the case in the past), so I just gave up and restored Lenny with Partimage.

After resetting the system and trying TBird/Icedove again, I noticed a difference in the process of creation of a new account in the older and newer versions of Icedove. In the older version (1.5x) when you set up a new mail account, one of the options is a Unix/Movemail account, and when this option is used, everything works automatically. In the newer version of Icedove in Sid (probably TBird 2.0, but I didn't think to check) where I was having this problem, that option didn't exist in the new account setup--which is a little scary, because apparently there won't be a way to set this up when the time comes to move to 2.0.

I had originally done this upgrade to get the uim package which was dependency-deficient for Lenny, but I think I'll just wait for it for the time being.

Chuck

--
-------------------

Charles Muller