Re: [tlug] [RFC] Proposed method for TAGGING subjects

On 8/8/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Keith Bawden writes:
>
>  > This thread has become a warren of cruft and corruption :-/ - I'm
>  > lost. So this may be an ideal time to summarize what you think the
>  > issue is and then propose the intended fix, followed by explaining the
>  > resulting benefits.
>
> Well, he did, in the RFC.

The "RFC" outlines the tags to use, but it does not really tell me why
we need them and what benefits they are to bring. I could be missing
something entirely here.

>From what I can tell Edward is saying we need these tags to help with
searching for content by accurately classifying it as we create it.
The benefit being that one will be able to search for and find
relevant posts much more efficiently if tags are used.

If this is the case then I would still argue the ability of these tags
to address the issue and deliver the benefit is limited. Unless of
course the tags are applied accurately and consistently. The cost of
which might outweigh the benefits.

I finally read the folksonomy wiki page that Edward provided a link to
earlier. I would have to say that most of my arguments to date are
covered by the "practical evaluation" section of that page[1].

Regards, Keith

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folksonomy#Practical_evaluation