Re: [tlug] Suggestions for splitting of mails?

Josh Glover writes:
 > On 07/08/07, Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:
 >
 > > This is something that I looked at before the last tlug election and
 > > came up with one possible solution.  If people could add some minimal
 > > tags to their email a la [ANN] [OT] etc. we could provide something more
 > > useful for filtering.  Something like

*sigh*

 > > [QUES], [ANS],

Redundant, and often hard to classify.  If there's a long thread and
somebody collects opinions/ideas/what works/doesn't, then [SUMMARY] is
definitely useful.  [SOLVED] often is misleading, what it often means
is "works for me, now".

 > > [NOOB], [EXPERT],

Who cares?

 > > [HW], [DRIVER],

Aren't these really the same in the end?

 > > [IM],

"Instant Messaging"?  "FEP" or "HENKAN" is probably less ambiguous.

 > > [XEMACS],

"ED"?

 > > [RUBY], [PYTHON], [PERL],

"P-CODE".

 > > [C&C],

This is essential!

 > > [LEGAL],

This might be a good idea.

 > > [NEWS],

Does anybody here actually do Usenet anymore? ;-)

 > > [CC], [GPL]

Subsets of LEGAL.

 > I love this idea! Please create a minimal wiki explaining this and I
 > will touch it up and add my thoughts, then we might add it to the List
 > Policy as optional but strongly recommended.
 >
 > > Why make the mailing list into a forum,  there is nothing to stop us
 > > from having forums.
 >
 > I wonder how hard it would be to get Mailman integrated with a piece
 > of forum software? I'd be willing to bet that someone has done it
 > already.

Mailman has an administrative feature called "topics".  I'm not sure
if it is as easy to use a forum, it doesn't come up on the list
often.  If topics are set up on a list, users can filter on them (but
I'm not sure how flexibly).

 > Or, better yet, as I don't want to run a piece of shit like phpBB

I think there's a patch for Joomla integration (whatever that is, ISTR
it's forumoid).