Re: [tlug] Suggestions for splitting of mails?

On 07/08/07, Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:

> This is something that I looked at before the last tlug election and
> came up with one possible solution.  If people could add some minimal
> tags to their email a la [ANN] [OT] etc. we could provide something more
> useful for filtering.  Something like [QUES], [ANS], [NOOB], [EXPERT],
> [HW], [DRIVER], [IM], [XEMACS], [RUBY], [PYTHON], [PERL], [C&C],
> [LEGAL], [NEWS], [CC], [GPL],.  These could also be used to filter in
> the archive.

I love this idea! Please create a minimal wiki explaining this and I
will touch it up and add my thoughts, then we might add it to the List
Policy as optional but strongly recommended.

> Why make the mailing list into a forum,  there is nothing to stop us
> from having forums.

I wonder how hard it would be to get Mailman integrated with a piece
of forum software? I'd be willing to bet that someone has done it
already.

Or, better yet, as I don't want to run a piece of shit like phpBB
(sorry, too many security holes over the years, and I know that
some--most?--were PHP's fault, but I don't care) on Hikari, why don't
we create a Google Group for TLUG that mirrors the list? That way,
people who want a more forum-like experience can get it.

Open Source is all about Freedom of Choice, right? </troll> ;)

--
Cheers,
Josh