Re: [tlug] Suggestions for splitting of mails?

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Josh Glover writes:
>  > On 07/08/07, Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > > This is something that I looked at before the last tlug election and
>  > > came up with one possible solution.  If people could add some minimal
>  > > tags to their email a la [ANN] [OT] etc. we could provide something more
>  > > useful for filtering.  Something like>
>
>>  I love this idea! Please create a minimal wiki explaining this and I

>> will touch it up and add my thoughts, then we might add it to the List
>> Policy as optional but strongly recommended.

I think it might be better to flesh out a base tag set first.  These
tags were my 5 minute summary of the sorts of post we have had.

>  > > [QUES], [ANS],
>
> Redundant, and often hard to classify.
> > [NEWS],

>Does anybody here actually do Usenet anymore? ;-)

This was about expressing intent rather then classification.  Perhaps
something like [Q], [A], [RFC] might be better.  [FYI] might be better
then [NEWS]

> If there's a long thread and
> somebody collects opinions/ideas/what works/doesn't, then [SUMMARY] is
> definitely useful.  [SOLVED] often is misleading, what it often means
> is "works for me, now".

I like the idea of [SUMMARY] but it doesn't really tell you what the
outcome was.  Maybe [SOLUTION] might emphasis that it actually contains
the solution not just a declaration that the original poster doesn't
care anymore.

>  > > [NOOB], [EXPERT],
>
> Who cares?

You tend to when you ask a deep question and get given the obvious
superficial answer by dozens of people.  [EXPERT] or some variation
would indicate you were after more then just the obvious. [NOOB] would
indicate you might need the obvious explained to you.

>  > > [HW], [DRIVER],
>
> Aren't these really the same in the end?

I guess so. maybe [HW] would do.

>  > > [IM],
>
> "Instant Messaging"?  "FEP" or "HENKAN" is probably less ambiguous.

Yes it is a bit ambiguous, [HENKAN] might be best.

>  > > [XEMACS],
>
> "ED"?

As in EDitor?

>  > > [RUBY], [PYTHON], [PERL],
>
> "P-CODE".

As a superset?, but it would probably be better to be able specify the
language as well.  People answering perl questions aren't necessarily
going to be able to answer python questions.

> This is essential!
>
>  > > [LEGAL],
>
> This might be a good idea.
>
>  > > [CC], [GPL]
>
> Subsets of LEGAL.

things like [PATENTS], [COPYRIGHT] might also be useful.  Has anyone
else got suggestions of missing tags or better names for existing tags.

Edward