Re: [tlug] What would happen to the Internet if the US fell off the map

On 02/08/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> Note that CC licenses don't help protect your work.

Yeah, I was advising him to use the CC licences so that others could
benefit from his work. But I think you probably knew what I meant.

> (I assume that Josh meant that unless you have reason
> to do otherwise, explicitly state a CC license, of course.

Right.

> But as Josh says, this is an area where we should be careful about
> i-dotting and t-crossing.)

+1

> I do encourage use of an explicit licensing statement, even if it's
> the default of "All Rights Reserved".  The CC licenses are well
> thought of by legal professionals if you wish to grant users more
> rights to use your work.

I could not agree more. On my blog, I use a blanket statement, "All
content is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License." And then I make
exceptions where necessary. Actually, I take a lot of pride in the
fact that my stuff is CC-licensed (see attached screenshot).

--
Cheers,
Josh