[tlug] Getting Started with Programming

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Lyle H Saxon wrote:

Incidentally - can you recommend something to get an eleven-year-old
started with programming?  I'm not a programmer myself, but he's
expressed an interest in programming and I'd like to get him started
somehow.

Well, I won't claim much expertise in this area (I didn't start programming until I was 13), but _The Little Schemer_ is a fun and playful book set up as a series of problem-solving exercises that will teach you some rather advanced things about computer programming. And it's got cute illustrations as well. Give it a try!

    http://www.amazon.co.jp/Little-Schemer-Daniel-P-Friedman/dp/0262560992/

(Hey, look, amazon.co.jp finally has the new URLs!)

cjs