Re: [tlug] Re: Post my article on tlug.jp?

Godwin

Thank you for your comments.
It also seems to make the assumption that GNU/Linux *wants* to be a drop-in
replacement for Windows.
While I said I'd like to defer this debate until later, I can't resist commenting because this concern seems so easily addressed.

There is no such assumption in the article. Linux is a thing, it has no "wants", unless there is sentience in the code that I am not aware of. The people around it have wants, and all their wants differ.

I'm sure there are many who do not care if Linux replaces Windows, or want it to. However, there are many who would like Linux to take over many parts of the market in which Windows is currently the de facto standard.

And, more importantly, regardless of which side of that fence people within the larger open source community fall, there are many people outside of it who think Linux "couldn't" replace Windows, and this article addresses them.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu Feisty 7.04