Re: [tlug] Re: Post my article on tlug.jp?

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Dave M G wrote:

http://tlug.jp/tmp/dave-mg.html

To my mind, a large problem with this article is it's founded on a faulty assumption that makes Windows out to be much more expensive than it really is.

A lot of people get Windows when they buy a new computer. For the OEMs
including it, Windows is a $50-$75 item, not a $200 item. For the
consumer, how much it costs depends on what other options the vendor
offers. A lot of vendors simply don't offer the option of anything but
Windows on their systems, and even those that do offer Linux often don't
give any discount for chosing it instead of Windows. (In some cases,
such as happened with Dell recently, the Linux version can be more
expensive.)

My current notebook is a ThinkPad, and I like it so much that I reckon my
next few will probably be ThinkPads as well. Since there's no option for
me to get a ThinkPad without Windows, my current copy of Windows was, to me,
free, and I expect my next one will be, too.

cjs