Re: [tlug] Linux / MacOS X and dv cameras

On 7/21/07, Stuart Luppescu <s-luppescu@example.com> wrote:
The fragile part is not the medium, but the player. We had one 8 mm
camcorder that lasted only a couple of years. I can't believe that the
tape player mechanism in such a small camcorder is very robust.

Exactly! I found that they burned out like clockwork every three months - but I was taking about two hours of video a day and the camera was running for about five or six hours a day.

(Some people have stand-alone 8 mm tape players, which would probably last
much longer.)

Not in my experience! From the short life of the expensive Hi-8 editing deck I bought form Sony, I wouldn't be surprised it had exactly the same mechanism as the bloody cameras that toasted themselves every three months!

I was afraid the camcorder would give up the ghost and
we'd not be able to buy another one to play back all those tapes because
the technology would be superseded. In fact, I would say it's probably
impossible to buy a new 8 mm analog camcorder now. My choice of DVD was
based on the guess that DVD players would be around a while since so
much commercial content has be released on DVD.

For taking videos, I would like to try the flash memory route but the current one probably relies too much on compression. The only reason I might get an 8mm digital machine is to rescue those tapes. Video was my life for about two years and there is a lot of material I'd like to do something with.

Lyle