Re: [tlug] Linux / MacOS X and dv cameras

On 金, 2007-07-20 at 07:43 +0900, Josh Glover wrote:
> 2. Can list members recommend a camera that they own and that works
> with Linux? (For capture, at least--editing is another issue.)

Several years ago (about 4?), I bought a Sony digital-8 camera. I bought
this kind because I had a ton of analog 8 mm video tapes from when the
kids were very little, and the new camera could read them and output the
video digitally using firewire. I thought I'd capture all the old tapes
and write them to DVD. Some day I will get around to that....

When I first got it, kino did not handle the capture very well. You had
to manually manipulate the tape control buttons on the camera: start
capture in kino, push play on the camera, (come back in an hour), stop
capture, push stop on the camera. Nowadays, pushing capture in kino
starts the camera a-playing; pushing stop capture stops the camera.

Moral of the story: video capture in Linux has come a long way.
--
Stuart Luppescu -=-=- slu <AT> ccsr <DOT> uchicago <DOT> edu
CCSR at U of C ,.;-*^*-;.,  ccsr.uchicago.edu