Re: [tlug] Linux / MacOS X and dv cameras

On 土, 2007-07-21 at 08:21 +0900, Shawn wrote:
> Um, ok what is the lifespan of a DVD compared to a minidv or 8 mm
> tapes. I thought I ought to backup my minidv tapes but the information
> I found was that the tape has a much much longer life than a DVD (and
> I didn't want to have to keep doing it ...so I left them in minidv
> format).

The fragile part is not the medium, but the player. We had one 8 mm
camcorder that lasted only a couple of years. I can't believe that the
tape player mechanism in such a small camcorder is very robust. (Some
people have stand-alone 8 mm tape players, which would probably last
much longer.) I was afraid the camcorder would give up the ghost and
we'd not be able to buy another one to play back all those tapes because
the technology would be superseded. In fact, I would say it's probably
impossible to buy a new 8 mm analog camcorder now. My choice of DVD was
based on the guess that DVD players would be around a while since so
much commercial content has be released on DVD.
--
Stuart Luppescu -=- s-luppescu .at. uchicago.edu
University of Chicago (^_^)/ CCSR