Re: [tlug] [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

On 7/11/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull@example.com> wrote:
Roger Markus writes:

 > use computers.  The job is first, the tool is necessary for the job,
 > but there are not very many non-computer jobs (and by that I mean that
 > a computer is necessary, but it is secondary to the primary job) in
 > offices that allow people to use Linux.  If you don't understand this,
 > you are far far far out of touch with reality!  No wonder you don't
 > mind Microsoft!  You have no idea what's going on in the world!

As for choice in the workplace, you're the one who's out of touch with
any reality but your own.  How would a pay cut of 70% grab you?
That's what most economics/finance profs take relative to what we
could get in The City.[1]  I'm pretty sure that there's a similar
situation for PhDs in CS/MIS, no?  I'll grant that profs are still way
overpaid compared to the rest of society so it's a relatively pleasant
choice (and I was very lucky in choice of wife, too, so I can actually
live at home without being driven insane), but the point is that you
(anonymous) do have a choice.  And you (Roger) surely have
alternatives, too; I don't disagree with the choice you've made, given
the world around you, but to say there is *no* choice is a cop-out.

I never said there is "no" choice! Anyway, you don't understand. I'm not saying that I selfishly want something better only for myself. I want something better for all of us. You are a more selfish man. Good for you! If you are happy being selfish and blowing your own horn all the time, then just keep blowing.

I would like to try to oppose a negative and destructive company like
Microsoft and push for Linux which has the potential for helping us
all in a much more constructive way than Windows.  There's a place for
academia of course - where else can post high-school people study?
But you are, er... *academic*.  You miss the mark regarding what is
*really* happening out there all the time.  The OpenOffice thing is
just one example.  You're probably the biggest troll on this list, but
you're very smooth, so people either cheer you on (Hello Josh!) grit
their teeth, or delete your postings.  It's quite obvious there can be
no happy ending in disagreeing with you.

Go ahead and rip this to shreds in your usual off-the-mark, yet potent
way.  I'll let you have the last word (you'll take it anyway, you
*ALWAYS* get the last word, so I won't try to change that).  Actually,
the only reason I stepped into this particular debate is because I was
sick of seeing you harassing Edward, who was making sense and
obviously wasting a lot of his valuable time trying to fix your
*academic* ways.  If I took some of the heat off of him, this was not
in vain.  (I regret that my exchange with Josh went as far as it did,
but he's just sticking up for you.)

You too have a choice, you know.  The purpose of debate should be to
arrive at the truth, not to show the world what a champion debater you
are.  Everyone in the group knows that you are THE champion debater.
We know that.  Yo' the man!  Now let's get down to making this a
better world by fighting bad software companies like Microsoft and
supporting freedom of choice (Linux, etc.).

Cheers!

RM