Re: [tlug] WiFi considerations

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:50:59 +0900, "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com>
wrote:

> > Yes. That *UNENCRYPTED* connection you've been using for 4 years.
>
> Ain't nothing important unencrypted. I've never really seen a need for
> WEP or WPA on my network, because everything is SSH and HTTPS.

Unfortunately I can't say the same. Clients usually make stuff available to
me via FTP or HTTP. Getting them to upload something by FTP and - gasp -
remember a username and password is challenging enough. 切腹 would be an
attractive alternative to talking users who can barely switch the computer
on without drooling on the keyboard through setting up an SSH daemon so
that I can download stuff through an encrypted connection.

Then again, if *they* upload stuff to a repository without crypto then
maybe I should not worry so much.

The other deal-killer is the radio frequency. I'm not sure you can get
802.11a stuff any more (it's all .11b and .11g nowadays), and you can't get
802.11n yet, meaning that I'm stuck in the 2.4-2.5 GHz range, which is
going to interfere with the TV transmitter.

Looks like I'm going to have to wait until 2009 or so.

> Your fellow Frenchman (come on, you count as French by now)

I'm not illiterate so I can't be French :)

If there are any French here who take offence at that tongue-in-cheek
statement then please feel free to follow up on the lingo@example.com list.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow,
next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability
afterwards to explain why it didn't happen.
                  -- Winston Churchill