Re: [tlug] WiFi considerations

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 05:55:52PM +0200, Godwin Stewart wrote:

> So, are there Linux-based tools that work with WPA or WPA2?

Yes.  Some adapters implement WPA in hardware, others require an
external helper called "supplicant" (of which wpa_supplicant is the most
well-known implementation), but the end result is the same.

> IOW, should the network look like this afterwards:
> [...]
> ...or more like this?:

If the PC labelled "NAT/FW" does really nothing more than NAT and
FW, and the wired machines in your network are 4 or fewer, you might
consider replacing both the PC and the switch with an all-in-one
router/access point.  They have outrageously low prices, don't have fans
or other moving mechanical parts, many run Linux, and some allow
partially or completely replacing the firmware with more powerful (and
open source) alternatives.  See for example [1] for a starting point,
including a list of supported devices, the most celebrated of which is
the Linksys WRT54G.

Taking it a step further, there are routers which, in addition to the
switch and AP, inglobate the ADSL modem too.  (I'm using one right at
this moment.)

> Fourthly, Linux hardware compatibility. How good is it nowadays? I
> have memories of there being open source drivers that worked partially
> for some chips, or ndiswrapper + windows drivers that worked partially
> for others. Have things improved?

The MadWifi driver for Atheros chipsets [2] has a very good reputation.
I have direct experience of drivers for two other chipset families -
RaLink [3], whose development has somewhat slowed down recently, and
ZyDAS [4], which I'd recommend.

Go to your favourite hardware shop, take note of the models in stock,
then look for them in the "Supported devices" section of the named
sites.  Be very careful with different hardware revisions of the same
chipset - sometimes the support level can change drastically.

Cheers,
 David

[1] http://openwrt.org/
[2] http://madwifi.org/