Re: [tlug] WiFi considerations

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 08:50:59PM +0900, Josh Glover wrote:

> Ain't nothing important unencrypted. I've never really seen a need for
> WEP or WPA on my network, because everything is SSH and HTTPS.

However, data encryption - in your case implemented at the application
layer - is only one aspect of security here.  Another one, not less
important, is authentication: after the wardriver-of-the-day succeeds in
associating with your unprotected AP and manages to get an address in
your LAN, he might not be able to SSH into your server, but he can abuse
your Internet connection, which might be even more harmful.

> I really don't think "not ready for prime time" is how I would
> characterise Linux's WiFi support.

Agreed.

Cheers,
 David