Re: [tlug] [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

On 11/07/07, Roger Markus <rogermarku@example.com> wrote:

> > > If Microsoft has hurt you so badly, why can't you quit them? Sounds
> > > like you need psychological counsel more than legal... ;)
> >
> > "Psychological counsel"?  So you're calling me mentally ill because I
> > don't like Microsoft?
>
> Nope. Parse that sentence again.

So you don't understand what "Sounds like you need psychological
counsel" means?

"If Microsoft has hurt you so badly, why can't you quit them?"

Do you understand the meaning of that sentence? Good. Move on to the next:

"Sounds like you need psychological counsel more than legal... ;)"

I know you understood that one, except you did not (want to?)
understand that the ";)" at the end is supposed to provide you with a
cue that I am being cute here, not serious. Email is a tough medium
for communication, which is why I occasionally resort to emoticons;
they are imperfect, but better than nothing.

So, if you string together the sentences, what I am saying is:

if (true == MicrosoftHasHurtYou and
   false == YouHaveQuitMicrosoft) {
 CallForMentalHelpButWithTongueFirmlyInCheek(pRoger);
}

Got it? Nowhere in here do I imply this:

if (true == YouHateMicrosoft) {
 CallForMentalHelpSeriously(pRoger);
}

You are a wise  man with the machines, but you had
better study your first language English a little more, at least
enough so you understand what you are saying with the words you use!

I will not be so pedantic as to point out the two mistakes you made in this paragraph, but I will hint that one has to do with whitespace and the other with punctuation.

Yeah - *you* understand what you are writing, but the words you used
said something else!  Better learn how to more skillfully use English
mate!

See above. In this case the dash and a comma are your friends.

Good point.  There is talk of trying to get people interested in Linux
but when you actually try to do that, unpleasant things happen!
Better to just serenely sit on the deck of the ship and watch it rip
its bottom out on the rocks.  Wouldn't want to disturb people's
serenity beforehand in order to try and avoid the crash.

Don't worry, this is the last time I feed this particular troll. Lesson learned and all that.

And no, I don't hate you either.  I hope you are able to take a little
criticism.  You can dish it out - I hope you can take it too!

I can take criticism perfectly well, but it does not really do me any good unless it has at least a kernel of utility; your posts seem to lack everything but anger.

Good day, and *plonk*

--
Cheers\WWith hatred and so forth,
Josh