[tlug] (off topic) Open source 'leaving Asia behind'

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/06/26/open_source_not_asia/

"Open feedback is OK culturally in Western Europe but a big problem in
Japan - for example, open criticism can be seen there as a big shame on
you"

My experience (not necessarily developing software here) is that
Japanese people _are not_ shy about feedback _if_ the issue is clear.

The fact that most Japanese people are at least somewhat reluctant to
make mistakes in English may play a very very big role.

I think some people are more willing than others to assert what they
think, knowing others may very well shoot it down.  This is a viable
learning method for some.

I was stopped dead in my track yesterday when I wrote 2X25=50 and met
with derision by a Japanese colleague who insisted and I mean insisted
it was wrong.  They felt that 25X2=50 was correct since 25 was the price
and 2 was the number of items and my way suggested there were 25 items.
To my colleague, I was clearly wrong and so (as so often before) was
told.

Off course, when it is not so clear, I get offered examples of things
that point to it being wrong - but the feedback is less direct.

Shawn