Re: [tlug] In Moderation [was "the philosophy of Subj."]

On 24/06/07, Roger Markus <rogermarku@example.com> wrote:

(I will not however, use
Jim's strange long string of dots to push the "was" part way off to
the side - I don't want to insult you the way Jim insults everyone
else.)

Roger: seriously, chill.

Jim is not insulting anyone, and I cannot but remember how quick you
were to take offence when I "censored" your anti-Microsoft post
because I am bought and paid for by Bill Gates, Esq.

Don't look so hard for offence and you won't find so much, mate.

> Relation among different messages should be expressed by using threads.

Also sounds reasonable (so long as you ignore real-world usage where
some people's mail clients don't think that the Subject is
meaningless).

Anyone's mail client that does not grok threads is frankly broken. Some of us (myself included) choose to live with that broken-ness due to other niceties offered by our clients.

Read the headers of this message if you want to know which broken client I like.

I hasten to say here that I am not against Subject changes when they
are called for - but with our good friend Jim, he does it nearly ALL
THE TIME!  Sometimes his new Subject lines make more sense, sometimes
they make less sense!  It should be done in moderation!

While I do agree basically with your sentiment (all things in moderation), your tone is out of line, and I am officially warning you to dial it back a notch, especially considering that the RFCs say you are wrong here (along with me and the majority of this list).

--
Cheers,
Josh