[tlug] In Moderation [was "the philosophy of Subj."]

On 6/24/07, Michal Hajek <hajek1@example.com> wrote:
it seems I will be the first troll which will jump to the Jim's defence
or perhaps the member of assumed 1% minority, who appreciate and
completely agree with Jim at the point of Subj. header.

Okay, since you completely agree that always changing the subject header is a good thing, I've taken the liberty of changing yours - I'm sure you don't mind. "The philosophy of Subj." is a reasonably good Subject, but since you prefer Jim's method of always changing the Subject, I'll accommodate by changing yours to "In Moderation" which fits with the theme of this message better. (I will not however, use Jim's strange long string of dots to push the "was" part way off to the side - I don't want to insult you the way Jim insults everyone else.)

My philosophy of Subj. header says that it should inform the reader
about contents of this particular message. If carefully crafted, it can
save the reader some time and at the same time, it expresses respect of
the writer in the relation to the receiver(s).

Sounds reasonable.

Relation among different messages should be expressed by using threads.

Also sounds reasonable (so long as you ignore real-world usage where some people's mail clients don't think that the Subject is meaningless).

The use of [re] itself in different forms is another issue and should
live in harmony with above statements.

Sounds like a lawyer speaking - very proper, but not clear and hard to pin down!

I hasten to say here that I am not against Subject changes when they
are called for - but with our good friend Jim, he does it nearly ALL
THE TIME!  Sometimes his new Subject lines make more sense, sometimes
they make less sense!  It should be done in moderation!

RM