Re: [tlug] Linux Distro Choices [was Re: Denshi Jisho]

Kim AhlstrÃm wrote:
So my question is thus: What distribution should I choose?

If you don't have time and you need it works as soon as possible.

- Fedora
- RedHat AS
- Ubuntu Server
- CentOS

There are hundreds of server based distributions... (Why I don't write
gentoo? I had use it only a couple of times)

If you have time to play with Linux and you want to learn:

- Slackware (BSD like distro)
- Debian

Anyway, I think you run it at home I think...
My advice is don't worry so much about the distro. Worry about the
software and hardware you will deal to (apache, database....),
versions, security holes, iptables rules, never used daemons that eat
resources, and so forth. All the distros are practically the same if
you strip away all the "toys" they use, like graphic environment,
aided tools to configure iptables or other stuff for wifi, bluetooth,
bla bla bla... just remain /etc, kernel version, and some scripts that
make the difference and specially the more important thing are "you"
the administrator. Finally if you don't have time, one more advice is
"if it works don't touch it!!"

Personally I use Slackware and OpenSolaris at home.
If you want to play with other systems, (proprietary I'm sorry) I can
give you access to AIX and HP-UX

One more thing. Thank you for your effort doing jisho.org I use it a
lot at my job. Specially the sentences search.

      -Pietro

-- - Pietro Zuco (ããããããã) - - pietro@example.com - Home page: http://www.zuco.org - Photo Blog: http://photo.zuco.org - Linux User: 252836