Re: DOS/Mac/Unix Newlines . . . . . . . . (Re: [tlug] More joy with MMM Mode in XEmacs)

Josh Glover writes:

 > So now the question is why doesn't outline-mode work with mmm-mode /
 > mason? That is something that I'll Google as time allows, because I
 > can live without it for now.

The ^M hack used by outline mode sux[tm].  mmm-mode (I'm referring to
the implementation, not the idea) sux[tm].  It's not surprising that
sux^2 gives rise to bugs.  It's all Stallman's fault (of course).

<RANT>
More technically, the Stallman-me-harder approach to editor design
involves lots of global mode variables and dynamic scope and
callbacks.  Ie, Stallman (like Curt Sampson) believes that all
programmers on a project should be responsible for all lines of code,
and uses globals to enforce that belief, and dynamic scope to ensure
that even if you never invited the Spanish Inquistion, they'll be
along.

Now, if you look at the lwlib code, you'll realize that Gabriel and
cohort themselves were not all that successful at modern design, even
for the time.  But at least they tried.
</RANT>

I would guess that the problem is that mmm-mode turns off or otherwise
interferes with selective-display (q.v.).  Perhaps it uses CRs for its
own purposes, although I can't imagine what that would be.