Re: [tlug] tokyo linux developers?

On 04/06/07, Niels KobschÃtzki <n.kobschaetzki@example.com> wrote:

On Jun 4, 2007, at 8:10 AM, Josh Glover wrote:

> But you must always use the particle ã instead of ã for the
> potential form of a verb. Hence æãèã but æãèãã ("read a
> book" versus "able to read a book", respectively).

I think that is wrong - I'm quite sure (and "A Dictionary of
Intermediate Japanese Grammar" from The Japan Times seems to say the
same at page 553ff. which is about the potential form)  that particle
usage is the same and that depends on the verb (åãã is used
with ã while you'll say æãèãã) or the usage (like the
difference in ã/ãèã)

Nein, dahling.

Unless you can cite me a source that shows otherwise, I refuse to
believe that ã can ever be used with verb in the potential form.
Native speakers tend to agree.

-Josh