Re: [tlug] *Small* NAT/DMZ/LAN h/w suggestions?

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 07:40:42AM +0200, Niels Kobsch?ʘtzki wrote:
> On May 29, 2007, at 7:07 AM, Edward Wright wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >But, I wonder if there isn't a better (cheaper) solution.
> >
> >I was thinking of maybe cascading a couple of consumer level routers,
> >but I'm leery of them from seeing periodic security holes posted on
> >BugTrac. Also, I don't know if they are configurable enough to set up
> >a couple of separate networks.
>
> How about routers which run Open-WRT (http://openwrt.org/) or DD-WRT
> (http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php)?

I've been using an NSLU2 with Debian for some time (I have it here in
Tokyo). I has a built-in ethernet and you can buy one more cheap USB
ethernet adapter in Akihabara. I've been running it with the root fs on
a 1GB usb stick.

The only drawback is it uses some closed source driver from Intel, but
there was an open source one being written some time ago, don't know
what's the status though.

links:
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/
http://www.slug-firmware.net/
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/HomePage

PS: yes, also gentoo is available for the nslu2 but I wouldn't recommend
compiling anything there, you'd want to set up a cross-compiler but it's
probably an useless hassle to run it as a router. Still the gentoo wiki
is one of the best sources for documentation around:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Linksys_NSLU2
--
mattia
:wq!