Re: [tlug] *Small* NAT/DMZ/LAN h/w suggestions?

Edward Wright wrote:
Hi,

I'm helping a friend set up a small office.

Requirements:
small LAN (5 or 6 workstations max)
DMZ - 1 or 2 Internet facing servers (web server + ?).

I need to set up a firewall/router.

My initial thought is to get a low end server and configure up some
iptables. But even such a server is really overkill for a router/firewall.
(Don't need an 80Gig h/d, 1Gig RAM and a 3 or 4 Gig processor..... or a
big power hungry box...)

However that is the solution I would be most comfortable with since I
have the most control and know what's going on.

But, I wonder if there isn't a better (cheaper) solution.
In the past at 2 locations I have used a older pc w 2/3 nics and smoothwall. 1 of which I know is still running.
While using old hardware is/can be a pain, if your looking to save money this would be the simplest route.
You can backup your configurations and it should go down you should be able to have it up and running again in a few minutes.

http://www.smoothwall.org/

Suggestions/experiences?
I did have contact with a guy who swore by a small form pc w/no fans that booted from a cf card. I thought that looked like a great idea but when it was all said and done this home grown firewall ended up costing as much as say a PIX501 (about 8 mann total is what he quoted me for one). I am sure that you can find the pieces your self cheaper, and do it. But to what cost?

E./

--
Erin D. Hughes GMO Internet,