Re: [tlug] server installation best practices/ worksheet

Micheal Cooper wrote:
Yes, I did a search on Google for such keywords first thing, but I did not find anything useful, since what I did find were very specific to the particular platform. There are a lot of Windows checklists, actually.
Ya I agree that is why I didn't include them... I was pretty surprised about that. I wanted to post a link to one or 2 good ones but every one after about line 10 said some thing like... Active Directory integration... or Windows server version. Bleh...

I also tried adding unix linux red hat etc. and I did not find anything useful in the first page or two. Strange.....

I was really just thinking that there should be some kind of generic Linux checklist, or at least one for Red Hat systems. I will go ahead and make one up myself, but it would have been nice to find one that is used by folks more experienced than I.

We have so few machines that Kickstart is not an option.
I would have to disagree, if you have 2 servers and want them all to be the same out of the gate it would be a time investment that could be useful later. Like in a emergency. In a previous company we only had a 4 server environment, making a kickstart file that I automated setup with and make sure everything was the same saved my butt one time.[1] It only takes a couple of minutes to do. [3]

However, I would really like to find best practices documents on system and network documentation.
My personal ones are pretty short but have always gotten me through.

1 strong passwords are a must 8 letters at least 2 # 2 UPPER CASE 2 lower case 2 special #$%&'(()~
2.Make sure ssh is only using protocol 2 [2]
3.Disallow root log ons.[2]
4.Change SSH default port to something else.[2]
5. Set up users who need it with sudo
6.Don't install anything you do not need . I usually do a minimal install.
7.Scan it with Nessus/nmap to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Everything else depends on the server, its role and who owns it.

Anyone else got a tip that might help?

E./

[1]Funny thing about hard drive mirroring it never seems to work if you can't convince your boss to buy the second hard disc.

[2] vi /etc/ssh/sshd_conf
Change
#Protocol 2,1
Protocol 2
Change
#Port 22
Port 69

Add
PermitRootLogin no
save changes and restart sshd and test ...

[3] I made this one in about 5 minutes but you can get more finite if you need.
#platform=x86, AMD64, or Intel EM64T
# System authorization information
auth --useshadow --enablemd5
# System bootloader configuration
bootloader --location=mbr
# Partition clearing information
clearpart --none
# Use text mode install
text
# Firewall configuration
firewall --enabled --ssh
# Run the Setup Agent on first boot
firstboot --disable
# System keyboard
keyboard jp106
# System language
lang en_US
# Installation logging level
logging info
# Use network installation
url --url=http://www.hugedesigns.net/fedora/
# Network information
network --bootproto=static --device=eth0 --gateway=Some.IP.here.--ip=and.anouther.IP.here
--nameserver=210.157.0.1 --netmask=255.255.255.xxx --onboot=
on
network --bootproto=dhcp --device=eth1 --onboot=on
# Reboot after installation
reboot
#Root password
rootpw --iscrypted myfavorite password.

# SELinux configuration
selinux --disabled
# System timezone
timezone  America/New_York
# Install OS instead of upgrade
install
# X Window System configuration information
xconfig  --defaultdesktop=KDE --depth=32 --resolution=1280x1024 --startxon
boot

%packages
@kde-desktop
@japanese-support
@editors

--
Erin D. Hughes I never said I wanted to be around for a long time. I always said I wanted to be here for a good time.
KidRock