[tlug] server installation best practices/ worksheet

I wonder if someone could point me to a server installation best practices page somewhere.

While I know that there are no easy answers to questions like what is the best way to set up a database or web server, it seems there should be resources like worksheets for server installations.

By worksheets, I mean forms that you would fill in with information like OS, memory, disk partition scheme, installed applications, log locations, IP address, MAC, firewall policy, etc. Something to make sure that the person doing the installation does not forget anything, something which ensures that the person who later must maintain the servers has all the info necessary for each machine in a consistent and uniform format. Or would this be better handled with Webmin?

Micheal Cooper
Miyazaki International College