Re: [tlug] cups and networking

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 10:44:02AM +0900, Darren Cook wrote:

> Now I'm trying to use it from my linux workstation. I installed the RPMs
> again on this machine, and followed these instructions:
>  http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/cups_network.html
>
> It didn't complain, but when I try to print a test page I get:
>  [Job 479] Network host 'myserver' is busy, down, or unreachable; will
> retry in 30 seconds...

You mean CUPS didn't work properly?  I'm shocked. I am sure that
Jonathan and Godwin among other CUPS fan boys are also shocked.

(The above is sarcastic, but in fairness to CUPS, it is much better than
it used to be--these days, I expect it to usually work, whereas in the
old days, it was always a pleasant surprise if it did.)

server's IP or its name if the name is in /etc/hosts under ServerName.
However, that might be for older versions, I'm not sure.

You can try http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu and see if any of
the solutions put there work for you.

You could try lpd://myserver/Printqueue_name as well and see if that
works.  Make sure, of course, that cups is running on both server and
workstation and that the server's config file allows remote printing.

(Which is slightly different than the page you mention--I'm leaving out
that binary_p1 thing. )

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )