Re: [tlug] cups and networking

> 2. Check to see if  your cupsd.conf is only willing to
> accept jobs from the machine connected to the printer directly but not
> remote machines.  You might want to muck with /etc/cups/cups.conf or
> wherever it is stored on your system and check for something like...
>
> <Location />
> Order Deny,Allow
> Deny From All
> Allow From @LOCAL
> </Location>

Thanks for the various replies. I think this might be key. In the
server's /var/log/cups/access_log every 10 seconds I see my workstation
is trying to connect every 10 seconds to "POST /printers/HL2040
HTTP/1.1" and getting a 403.
(I've yet to work out *what* is trying to make that connection, as it
happens even if I shutdown cups on my workstation.)

I tried adding Allow From 172.16.1.* in various places, but no luck, so
I added a whole new Location block:
<Location /printers/HL2040>
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 172.16.1.*
AuthType None
Allow from All
</Location>

and now the 403 has turned into a 200! Yeah. Party, party, party.

But, I still get the same error when trying to print a test page. Party
cancelled.

I tried Josh's suggestion of changing from that weird binary_p1 to the
actual queue name of HL2040, but same thing.

I tried: ipp://172.16.0.2/ipp/port1
and get "Unable to get printer status (client-error-forbidden)!"

So, back to lpd://172.16.0.2/HL2040. The help page says lpd listens on
port 515. I cannot telnet to that. My server has nothing listening on
port 515. I don't have a service called lpd to start.

I'm confused. The CUPS docs says that ipp is the only supported
protocol. Brother, and Josh, suggested using lpd. I wonder if I should
bark up the ipp tree a bit more? Or maybe I should start barking up the
smb tree as I will eventually need to get that working anyway.

Anyway, I showed my mastery of lateral thinking by unplugging it from
the server, plugging into my work machine, 30 seconds of configuration,
and getting today's important documents printed. :-). If it wasn't for
my wife's notebook I could just live without it networked...

Darren