Re: [tlug] Alternatives to MS-Powerpoint?

Hi,

On 2007/05/09, at 1:27, Marcelo Martins wrote:

I usually try to stay away from proprietary file formats, but the
people at my lab insist on using this god-awful application called
Powerpoint to make presentations. Right now, I maintain a Windows
partition only to open these files. Not only my precious space is
being wasted on an operating system I don't use, it's also a memory
hog. I'm thinking of ditching the NTFS partition once and for all,
since it's occupying space that could be used for my home partition.

I have no idea about an app to edit PPT files. Do you actually need to edit PPT files, or your lab just doesn't want any other software to install? If the latter, maybe there is a solution.

I've used Latex Beamer for my presentation. You write the source in plain
text, then generate a PDF file. Acrobat Reader and many other PDF readers
have Presentation mode. For me, living in Windows dominating world, I
have never had any problem with my beamer generated PDF presentation.
A possible drawback is it's difficult to create fancy animation
with latex beamer.

I like the way beamer makes PDF. It inserts TOC after every slide,
with highlight indicating which slide you are in. This tells how far
you are making presentation until the end, and refrains the audience
from waiting for the end.

btw, when I make a new presentation, I usually write Makefile to make
the build; test; and install (means copy the file to USB memory
to give the conference manager) easier.

hmm maybe this is a good topic to show at TLUG tech meeting?

http://homepage.mac.com/babayoshihiko/software/academic/index.html

--
BABA Yoshihiko
Urban Design Laboratory, Tokyo University D2

TEL: +81 (0)90 8465 7125 (Softbank)
TEL: +81 (0)70 5561 0255 (PHS)
http://homepage.mac.com/babayoshihiko