Re: [tlug] installing Ubuntu on Panasonic CF-R4

On May 1, 2007, at 9:28 AM, Keith Bawden wrote:
>the above looks like you may have lost your recovery partition.
I couldn't proceed with the installation, so quit without making changes
must have saved the recovery partition. Re partitioning/recovery works fine.

-------
On May 1, 2007, at 11:23 AM, Marcelo Martins wrote:
>The problem is that it assumes you are going to do all the partitioning
>using its tool, and making it accept your own custom layout is almost
>impossible. Maybe it's just me, maybe someone more experienced
>with Ubuntu may help you with this issue,
That is sure what it looks like. I will be sending a query to Ubuntu to see
what can be done about it. Thanks.

> If Ubuntu has a console-based installer, use it instead of the default one.
Interesting idea, thanks.

-------
On May 1, 2007, at 12:31 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>Can you still access the recovery boot?
Yes. (see above).

>It's the table that you showed, which as shown lacks a root file
>system:
According to the Japanese Instructions, it shows that the recovery
disc has it's own partition, that I suspect is the first
/dev/sda
in the menu.
It also says that we can install up to three OS's on the partitioned hard drive,
but then fails to mention specifically how to do this...
Maybe a new Micro$loft or Panasonic quirk?
Interestingly though, I can go into the Set up Kanri (via F2 at start up),
and switch the boot order so that every time I plug in my dvd drive,
it will check the hierarchy first, to boot up from the drive that
has the highest priority.

>This is the problem ----------+ [ /media/sda1 ]
>It needs to be "/", aka root.
# SNIP
I have tried "/" and several others that I could dream up, but still NG...

> Be very careful, you could easily hose your XP partition blundering
>about like this.[1]
Thanks for the heads up.

-------
On May 1, 2007, at 1:06 PM, Curt Sampson wrote:
>You might check to see if you have a utility that lets you create a
>bootable backup CD or DVD. These days, it seems quite typical of laptop
>makers to ask you to burn your own, as opposed to including one.
Great advice, I think I will look into this before continuing. Thanks!

Thanks for all your comments guy's. I'll keep plugging away at it, and if I can figure it out, will pass along lessons learned. Cheers!

Regards,
Bruce McIntosh