Re: [tlug] "Long Live Portable OGG-Players"

On Apr 29, 2007, at 4:19 AM, Lyle H Saxon wrote:

On 4/26/07, Attila Kinali <attila@example.com> wrote:

<snip>

Although ipods make up here maybe a third or even half of
the market, there is still some competition. Just have a
look at the lokal mp3 player store www.k55.ch

Have they only taken over that much of the market? By observing people on the Yamanote Line and seeing what the retail stores have on their shelves, it looks more like the bloody iPods are 80 or 90% of the market! Or is that just in this country?

In Germany it's different. All of the stores have 90% other players and some give only some special place for iPods and accessories. Here in Berlin you can see that more and more ppl have iPods just because of the headphones but I still see a lot of those cheap flash-based mp3-players around (more or less USB-sticks with mp3-playing capabilities).

But I have to say that the greatest advantage of an iPod (except of the interface and smart playlists based on rating/play-/skipcount) is it multilingual capabilities. Here I won't get any mp3-player that will display Japanese titles correctly (or Korean or Russian or whatever). And I hate it when I have to transcribe each of my non- alphabet song-titles, artist names or whatever. What are you guys doing with that? Is there any other player which gives you some kind of UTF-8 capabilites?

Niels

--
Jammern für Anfänger: Niels K. (25) Jammerbacke -- auch für professionelles Jammern zu haben
http://jammern.wordpress.com