Re: [tlug] more Mac fun

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 08:03:03PM +0900, Josh Glover wrote:
> On 14/04/07, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
>
> >Apple recommends doing that (completely discharging the battery) about
> >once a month.
>
> How do you do that? Do you boot it up into the BIOS or something and
> let it just drain? I have a feeling that Mac OS would hate getting
> shut down at the login prompt or something (filesystem
> inconsistencies, etc.).

I use the highly technical and complex method of turning it on and
leaving it running.  It's not really doing anything, just running
overnight.  It is already logged in at the time.

While on Apple, in the end, my complaint turns out to be one about
laptops in general, which is the hardware stuff on a laptop is a pain.
:)  According to Tekserve--by the way, let me recommend them, they seem
to know their stuff and they will do all sorts of diagnostics for you at
no charge, and not be upset if you decide against the work being
done--the problem is in the airport card's antenna which may be why it's
so sporadic.  So, I ordered her a USB wireless thing.

It was interesting, while some of the standard (Linksys, Dlink) brands
can be made to work with Mac, they are, according to Google, often
problematic--so I ordered a different one from afterthemac.com.
None of the standard ones available at say, CompUSA claim Mac
compatibility on the product's box.

Basically, she plans to, next year, bag this and get a tower, but she
needs something to bring with her to Europe, and possibly Japan late in
the Summer.  So it's a matter of bandaging it along for another 9
months.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )