Re: [tlug] Networking two Linux computers harder than Linux toWindows?

Godwin ,

I'm afraid I found your comments to be not very helpful or insightful.
For the same reason that instructions don't say that you're supposed to
move the mouse on its surface if you want the cursor to move on the
screen....Of course software isn't going to run if you don't start it...

There are plenty of examples of software that are available and running simply by having downloaded them from the repositories.

MySQL and Apache, for instance, both started without me ever having to explicitly start them. The Gstreamer thumbnailer never had to be started explicitly. My update notifier never had to be started. I could probably go on if I really wanted to think about it.

So, if the instructions for how to make NFS start don't include any commands to start them, then it's not at all unreasonable to suppose that it, like the software listed above, it doesn't require them.

It is nowhere near the same level of obvious as moving my mouse around the screen.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn