Re: [tlug] Linux-compatible Mac laptop?

On 2007/04/10, at 10:54, Jonathan Q wrote:

This is true, too, now that you mention it :) If you're paying for a
proprietary OS license, how much more is OS X worth than XP or Vista?
While it might be hard to put a dollar number on the stability and good
design (including how it does such a nice job of staying out of your way
and not making you cuss much, something Windows totally fails), but IMO
the answer is "a lot."

I agree completely. There are fewer software choices for Mac, but the quality is better on average, it seems, and that is just the Mac- specific software. For work, though, and especially in Japan, there are a lot of instances in which I have no choice but to turn on the WinXP VM to get the job done.

If you have to support Mac and Windows (and maybe Linux) and would
like to have everything on one machine, you have to get a Mac with
Parallels because you cannot run MacOS in a VM on PC.

This is also a plus. I don't use Windows in Parallels much (haven't booted it in weeks, just don't have the need), but when I do, it's quite fast in my experience more stable than native XP. Kubuntu in a Parallels VM is faster than it is natively on my Athlon 64 3800+. This Core 2 Duo rocks.

Yes, I find my VM to be at least as fast as the brand-new Dell from which I "transported" the image.

All in all, I would recommend this setup to anyone.

Micheal