Re: [tlug] [OT] How is Akanbe expressed in English?

On 3/31/07, ITSUMI ken-ichi <itsumi.ml@example.com> wrote:
1) How is Akanbe expressed in English?

I don't know, but generally something that is not in another culture is allowed to keep its own terminology from the culture that does have it - thus I would say that "akanbe" in Japanese is also "akanbe" in English. Sushi is sushi, tofu is tofu, karate is karate, karaoke is karaoke, and probably akanbe is akanbe.

This does remind me of something from the far distant past though.  I
remember some kids in the US when I was a kid sticking out their
tongues and simultaneously putting their thumbs in their ears and
moving the fingers of the open hands up and down - often with some
noise accompanying the outstretched tongue.  I have absolutely no idea
what that's called, except for the "raspberry" which is making a
certain noise while the tongue is out(?), but I think that's without
the hands plugged into the ears....

Lyle