Re: [tlug] how filesystem works?

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 07:05:39PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> It's just not a big deal to carve out a 100MB /boot, 10GB /var/log,
> and maybe a couple of others for special uses.

    For /boot I would highly suggest such a strategy.   I tend to
allocate around 250MB or so when I do remember to bother creating
/boot in case I get the itch to compile a pile a few kernels and
find 100MB is an annoying limit but well that's me.  YMMV

    I'm not sure I necessarily agree on /var/log but this gets to my
point on following 'best practices' for partitioning schemes.  Perhaps
for old UNIX hands this is as simple as walking down the street.  However
asking a handful of those UNIX hands on their opinions and it seems this
discussion can lead you down a rabbit hole so deep you never actually
get around to installing Linux.  I prefer to keep it simple, you can
always make it more complex later.

    Outside of /boot everything else I feel is up for debate and
perhaps even keeping /boot its own partition is up for debate too
but I'm not going to carry the torch for this debate.

Alain