Re: [tlug] KDDI cellphones and encoding

Scott Robbins wrote:
> On the ArchLinux list, a fellow has commented that his senpai can't read
> messages that he sends from mutt which are, as far as he knows, encoded
> in UTF-8.

Isn't this a mutt setting, from the manual there is a setting called
send_charset[1] which defaults to "us-ascii:iso-8859-1:utf-8".  From the
manual

"Mutt will use the first character set into which the text can be
converted exactly."

from the manual[2] the configuration file should be in |/etc/Muttrc for
system wide settings and |~/.muttrc for user settings.  You should add
something like the following

set send_charset="us-ascii:iso-8859-1:iso-2022-jp:utf-8"

so that iso-2022-jp is used in preference to utf-8 for Japanese
messages.  I don't currently use mutt so I haven't tested any of this.

Edward

1. http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-6.html#send_charset
2. http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-3.html#s3