Re: [tlug] (OT) Reverse DNS resolution blues- ISP recommendations?

Curt Sampson wrote:

Well, that's pretty bogus if that's indeed what's happening, but on the other hand, there's not much you can do about it for those cases except conform to what they want.

But you may want to check that this is really your problem. I've not had an
issue with this, and the two servers I usually send mail from resolve as:

$ host 58.81.178.245
245.178.81.58.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer 58x81x178x245.ap58.ftth.ucom.ne.jp.
$ host 125.100.126.202 202.126.100.125.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer 125x100x126x202.ap125.ftth.ucom.ne.jp

That's pretty well guaranteed to be rejected by many mail servers, quite likely when you connect. Mail is not supposed to come from domain names containing ftth, dsl, dailup; that sets of the spam alarms like nothing else, except perhaps coming from China or Korea. If you want to run your own server you need to have a "proper" reverse dns name and best of all relay through your ISP's server.

Having a blacklisted IP block doesn't help either.

Brett