Re: [tlug] Using autoresponse

Godwin Stewart wrote:
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:48:28 +0100, Sigurd Urdahl <sigurdur@??>
wrote:

Why would you assume that people/spammers/bots would send emails with
forged headers to an address like this?

Your naïveté is touching.
Cute.

If spammers know of an e-mail address, they will spam it. They neither
know nor care whether the e-mail address in question is read by a human
or a robot, or even if it is at all valid. They just spam it.

Let me clarify; "Why would you assume that people/spammers/bots would _target_ such a service?"

I'm awfully aware of the non-discriminating, automated nature of spam. I administrate an email service provider with ~2.5M mails incoming a day, ~65% of it is spam. I see my share of spam-hell.

Of course such a solution will "spam" by backscattering. But, I believe the amount of backscatter will be quite insignificant in a global context. It would comparable with a closed email account, and I hope noone really believes it's a good idea to keep accepting (and possibly /dev/null'ing) emails for closed accounts.

If the system accepts any emails, but drops the incoming email body
and just sends a response back I don't see how it can be used to spam
for anyone else than the system owner.

That's the whole point. The system in question is going to be sending
out piles of "you've won a prize and are subscribed to our mailing
list" messages in response to spam. Such notifications are unsolicited,
they're definitely bulk and they're e-mail. They're unsolicited bulk
e-mail. Do the math.
Each one is a response to an incoming email. That makes it non-bulk in my book. But I agree, the backscatter will be unsolicited and email. Though, it does not make it any more spam than other backscatter.

Most of that problem could probably be removed by dropping emails with bodies bigger than a given limit, possibly also by adding a spam-filter in front of the script, or both, to reduce the amount of backscatter, and probably more important in Andres' context, improve the quality of the collected data.
If there is no affiliate program connected to this I can't see any
sensible incentive for forging addresses onto the list at all, except
for pure vandalism.

What do you think spammers are? Angels who abide by rules? They *are*
vandals.
No. Maybe some of them are, but the bulk (pun intended) of the spammers run businesses and are into this for money.

This seems like twist on a quite normal way of building a list of
email addresses,

The *ONLY* acceptable way of building a list of e-mail addresses is
closed-loop opt-in. People have to say that they want on the list and
then they must *confirm* that they asked, otherwise anyone can
force-subscribe anyone else.
Personally I agree. That does not mean that the marketing department or boss will agree.

But this too is easily done within the framework Andre sketched up. Let any respone email from the system have an activation link or code that is valid for a day or something like that.
Please wake up and smell the coffee. This is 2007. The climate has
changed radically since that first spam run for DEC went out back in
1979.
You are right. And I think the way to deal with it is to accept that we will have spam and backscatter as an unwanted component of email for the overseeable future. If everyone played on team it shouldn't be a problem to limit spam, but IMHO that is not going to happen any time soon. Unfortunately.

The premier, and most effective, frontier against spam is in the recieving end.

but the technology used to collect the addresses can not be blamed
for that.

It can today, in a climate where 95% of e-mails floating around the 'Net are fraudulent.

I disagree. If Andre's solution is implemented in a sensible way it should not be considered bad technology. You might dislike it (I do), but building lists of potential customers is an important part of modern business, and there is no reason to not expect it to be part also of Internet business. As long as there is money to made from it, companies will make lists, sell lists, buy lists. my hope is that customers make companies realise that using that info responsibly is good for business.

kind regards,
-sig

--
I managed to cut away my signature.